Sunday, October 10, 2010

Never too old to stop learning

A few years ago, Georgia schools initiated the TAPP program-The Georgia Teacher Alternative Preparation Program. Basically this program allows for certification of individuals who hold a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institute, who did not complete teacher education degree programs and want to transition to the teaching profession.

As a health teacher without a permanent classroom, I was always assigned a classroom according to a fellow teacher's planning period. Sometimes the teachers chose to remain in the classroom during my teaching time while others chose to leave.

During one fall semester, I was assigned the classroom of a TAPP teacher. This teacher usually chose to remain in the classroom and oddly enough, she would listen to my lectures/discussions. Being a seasoned teacher, this really didn't bother me. I just assumed she was gaining classroom management skills, etc. That is until one day, she began RAISING HER HAND and asking questions as if she were one of my students!!

No comments: