Ok - this one just gets me.
I taught a general education class of American Literature at Northgate High School. While at Northgate, I had this darling female student, who I so bonded with and became her mentor or advisor, so to speak, to help her graduate. After first semester, when I didn't have her in my class any longer, I'd call her at home and make sure she was doing well in her classes. I would see her at lunch and we'd have chats. I'd write notes to her teachers, if she was visiting me, explaining WHY she was late to class. I took her under my wing and gave her gifts to keep her motivated and input about life and love. I tried to encourage her as she held (and still does as I see her occasionally around town) a special place in my heart. It's a warm feeling to try to help a student who needs help.
Now my philosophy, while teaching American Literature, was to bring American History into play. I mean, afterall, the history of the Native Americans and their origin myths were a part of American Literature. Christopher Columbus' historical voyages had to be told first BEFORE anything in journals and his letters back to Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand. The Puritans and their historical influence came into play with their many sermons (think Jonathan Edwards and fire & brimstone.) I also made them write essays, like so many Revolutionary icons when discussing WHY these men were writing so many beautifully heated words to England. So, myths, journals, letters, sermons, and essays were all a part of American Literature in its early history. Had to be done.
The semester after this student was in my class, I was visited by her asking for help. She needed help from me because she was about to take her 11th grade END-OF-COURSE- history test. I did have some books that she might review, but the kicker was WHY she came to me instead of anyone else. She said, " I need your help, Mrs. Webster, because you were my history teacher."
I guess she forgot that I taught Henry David Thoreau, Edgar Allan Poe, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Harper Lee and so many others. To her, I just taught history.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment