Friday, January 21, 2011

Hoppin' Mad

The ONLY time in 30+ years that I was ever "called" to the principal's office as a faculty member occurred in the 80's in a small, rural elementary school in central GA.

I had been teaching the different locomotor movements (jump, skip, hop, etc.) to my classes. When I was summoned to the office via the school's intercom, no less, I had no idea what to expect.

As it turns out, I had asked my students to "hop like an Easter bunny" and one of my students happened to be a Jehovah's Witness (unbeknown to me!). There sat the child's Mother, principal and me in his office while I was being blasted about this "bunny issue!"

I basically just apologized and went on my merry way. I knew better than to argue with the Mother's set mentality.

As years have passed in my teaching career, I have often wondered WHY that principal just didn't take care of that silly issue himself rather than bring me in, totally unaware of the problem and allow me to be belittled in such a way.

No comments: