Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Special abilities

I don't know if they still do this or not, but in the 1990's at Memorial Middle School in Conyers, Georgia, 8th graders were administered a test to find out what their interests or special talents were. Then the test would inform them the kinds of jobs these abilities provided.

My oldest took the test and was informed that he liked to "use his hands." With this information, the job opportunities were a 1) butcher or 2) an air conditioner repairman. Well, as it worked out, he really did use his hands a lot in that he now can take apart and put back together a computer as he took the CISCO Systems Academy at Salem High School and graduated from college as an IT major.

OK, I get it.

But I remember him coming home that day telling me how stupid the aptitude test was and that a friend of his received her results, too. Whatever her description was, the jobs that they mentioned for her future were as follows: 1) a clown or 2) a mime.

Wonder what profession of the two she chose?

No comments: