Thursday, July 29, 2010

Things change

I recently was invited to Salem High School's Class of 2000 Ten-Year Reunion. It was great seeing all those guys.

One memorable student came up to me and told me that TO THIS DAY he still quotes me. I thought, "Oh, no. What did I say that would make someone want to reuse it?"

But it was flattering. And, of course, there is story behind it.

This is the quote:

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be talking while you are interrupting."

Great line. Right?

Well, the thing is, that line was not new in 2000. I had used it when I taught in the 1970's, the 1980's, the 1990's, AND the 2000's. But the reactions were different.

In the 1970's and 80's when my students were talking and I needed to get the class back to the discussion that I got paid to lead, I'd say that line and the response was, "Oh, Mrs. Webster. We're sorry." They stopped talking.

In the 1990's - if I had to lead the discussion back to the subject at hand, I'd say the line and receive, "Oh, Mrs. Webster. We're sorry." But they kept talking.

By the 2000's, it was "Oh." And they kept talking.

Now, I exaggerate some. NOT ALL classes responded this way in the last 2 decades, but I did get those responses in those years.

Things change.

No comments: