I have been kissed by a President of the United States.
True.
While teaching a middle school Gifted program, we taught core curriculum enhanced with enrichment activities. Eighth grade history in Georgia is Georgia History. My enrichment activity was based on the "Leadership Georgia" program. Many counties even have their own "leadership" program. So, while living in Rockdale County, I followed the "Leadership Rockdale" outline.
There are many categories in the leadership program: cultural, medical services, recreational, governmental, etc. All the components that make up a county. While we were learning about government in the state and the type of government our county operated under, discussion came up about this presidential kiss.
In the summer of 1971, when I was 17, I worked with the "Stay and See Georgia" state chamber of commerce promotion. The Georgia Chamber of Commerce wanted to enhance the idea that Georgians did NOT have to leave the state to enjoy their vacations. Each county in Georgia had something to offer. Rockdale County, at that time, was showcasing "The Monastery of the Holy Spirit." It's official name is "Our Lady of the Holy Spirit Monastery" and is a Roman Catholic monastery. It is a Trappist monastery and was founded on March 21, 1944. It operates a retail gift store, garden store, and at the time sold stained glass windows. The monastery runs a guest retreat program. Both the 1,400 acres as well as the monastery itself are beautiful.
The Georgia chamber sponsored a week-long economic development fair, at the then open-air Lenox Square Mall, for each Georgia county to showcase all the reasons to "Stay and See Georgia." Each county highlighted their own unique reason to visit. At the end of the week, the Governor's Mansion was hosting a reception to thank the counties for volunteering their time to promote tourism in Georgia.
Before going to the reception, my aunt who was really big in our family's genealogy, told me that I was related to our governor. Somehow, somewhere, way back, little 'ole me and the then Governor of Georgia are kinfolk.
Who was our governor? Yep - Jimmy Carter.
While shaking hands with official people in the receiving line, Rosalyn and Jimmy were approaching fast. Chatterbox that I am, after I shook Mrs. Carter's hand, I was in the middle of shaking Governor Carter's hand and said, "My aunt found out we are cousins." He grinned that famous Jimmy Carter grin. I moved on to the next handshake.
Then, before I could finish with that movement, I feel a kiss on my cheek and I turn around and there's JIMMY CARTER KISSING ME! And he said, "I always kiss my cousins." (If you aren't from Georgia or Alabama, you might not understand the real definition of what kissing cuzzins are.)
So, when the government lesson at school came up, how could I not mention this story to my students? I'd always start the lessons with a tease...just like I did you, dear reader...that I had been kissed by a President of the United States.
But one year in the 1990's while teaching this story a student shot back a comment.
ME: "I've been kissed by a President of the United States."
STUDENT: "Who was it? Bill Clinton?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment