I did NOT major in education while in college at Georgia Southern University. I was a Communications major. You know, journalism, marketing, public relations. I was a poor student in high school. Oh, not that I wasn't smart, I was, but after Junior Beta Club middle school years, my grades plummeted in high school. I loved high school...not the studying part...but the pageantry part. When I was a Senior in high school and knowing people on the year book staff, I had 42 pictures in the yearbook my Senior year. I am proud of that accomplishment.
Not only did I join every club imaginable (like the friggin' Science Club where I was elected President - and was making C's in the science classroom), but also you could see several of my 42 pictures in the advertisement section of this small town called Conyers promoting Chevrolets (my family drove a Plymouth), dry cleaners, and I think, but I am not sure, a funeral home.
There were only probably 150+ pages in year book, and I think that makes it so that my picture was on every 3.57142857142 pages. Impressed with that number? I was not a math student either, so I had to use a calculator, of course.
Anyway, not being a great high school student, I started out poorly as well in college, but by the time I got into my major courses, I finally made Dean's List! Of course, these courses mostly were being graded on kinesthetic activities...like talking (speech classes, radio broadcasts, etc.) Just up my alley!
So, with that degree, I pursued that line of work and did happen to get my first GREAT job at McCann-Erickson Advertising Agency in Atlanta as a lowly secretary. I was 21 and thought I could take on the world with my knowledge in communications from Georgia Southern. I typed and typed all day and wished and wished all day to be in that fun, creative, copy writers room where the copy writers sat around (on a sofa!) and laughed at each other's remarks. They were just topping each other to get the best line for the products that McCann-Erickson advertised (Coca-Cola, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Buick, and such in 1975.)
Typing was getting old and some of those copy writers were aged as well (how long until they recognized ME! and ask ME! to sit on that sofa?) Too long, I figured. I was young and was in the HERE AND NOW. So, I thought, "Teachers have the summers off." I think I'll be a teacher.
I left the advertising profession (a professional typest) and went to Georgia State University to get my Secondary English Education degree. My advisor advised me to get my teaching certificate AND my master's as the same time - a "twofer." I did. Did I mention I was NOT an English major in undergrad school? I had grown up a lot and persevered, though. Grades mattered to me again and luckily they did because you can't pull less than a B in grad school or you are out.
After 2 years, it was time for my practicing teaching. I was assigned to Milton High School in Alpharetta, Georgia. The English classes were great. But I taught all day, and there were other classes that I taught, too. I decided it was a set up. I was 24, teaching high school, teaching Spring quarter, teaching Seniors, teaching an elective (don't recall what it was - but something not necessary for graduation) and teaching mostly boys. Need I paint the picture any clearer?
I am 6 years older than these 18 year olds, size 8 freshed-faced blonde, with no teaching experience or command of the classroom and they knew it. They could see it in my eyes. I was a sitting duck.
One rather oversized student made it a point to sit on the front row every day almost under my stool and podium. I say podium, but it didn't cover anything...you know the one-pole kind. And a stool for Heaven's sake! Could that not have been the worse (or best, depending on your point of view) site for hormonal teenage boys and this young and naive teacher?
Every day, this guy blubbered and laughed his way in response to just about everything I tried to teach (did you notice I chose "tried"?) Whatever came out of my mouth, shortly after, he was slobbering some syllables right after me. I had to do something to keep my composure and let him know I might be female, but I was ALPHA in this situation. So...
I took out my pointing finger, I learned over the podium, I squenched my eyes, I got in his face, and I said in the lowest pitch that would come out of my mouth with such forcefulness, that I didn't even know where that voice came from and said with not only intensity but with an angry volume, "YOU SEE ME AFTER CLASS!!!!!!!!!!"
His response? "I'd love to."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment